Civil Registration


Need Help?

Simply fill-up this form to let us help you.

Current Visitors

We have 7 guests online



…NSO has the responsibility of carrying out and administering the provisions of the Civil Registry Law as provided for in Act No. 3753 dated February 1931.

Frequently Asked Questions:


  1. It is a continuous, permanent and compulsory recording of the civil status of persons and modification thereof.


  1. Information obtained at the time when the occurrence of vital event and their characteristics were inscribed in a civil register for legal purposes.

Event which has something to do with the individual’s entrance into or departure from life together with the change in civil status which may occur to him during his life time.

Q. Why is it important that we register vital events such as birth, death and marriage?

A. For Birth Record:

Establishes the occurrence of an event;

To provide “prima facie” evidence of the facts surrounding the birth;

Provides basis for the establishment of:

name of a person parentage

lineage legitimacy

dependency nationality; and


Serves as supporting documents in:

enrollment in schools

obtaining professional license

matters relating to claims of inheritance, benefits, pensions and insurance


obtaining passports

obtaining tax exemptions

For Death Record:

Proof in issuing burial permit

Provides legal evidence relevant to

claims to inheritance of property;

insurance on deceased person;

rights of surviving spouses to remarry; and

designation of a guardian or foster parents of minor children.

Initial indicator of the existences of infections and epidemic diseases and the need for immediate control measures

Help in updating files of deceased case registries, social security, voter registers

For Marriage Record:

Provides “prima facie” evidence of the facts surrounding the marriage;

Establishes rights to inheritance or pensions;

Confers legitimacy;

Helps prove ancestry and lineage; and

Establishes the civil status of women and change of nationality or surnames of a person

Q: When should these vital events be registered with the LCRO?

A. Timely Registration:

Birth & Death 30 days

Marriage 15 days

( Note: There are exceptional cases that the 30 days timely registration is being applied in marriage.)

Late Registration:

more than 30 days

Q: Where should these vital events be registered?

A: Local Civil Registrar’s Office (LCRO) where these vital events occurred.

(The place of occurrence is the place of registration.)

Q: Who must register these vital events to the Local Civil Registrar’s Office (LCRO)?

A: Birth:

Physician, Nurse, Midwife, Hilot


Hospital/Clinic Administrator,

Rural Health Unit (RHU),

Knowledgeable persons


Solemnizing Officer (SO)

Q: Why don’t I have any record at the LCRO? And, what would I do for the LCRO to have that record?

A: Your parents or other persons who had knowledge of the vital event concerning you may have not registered the said vital event, on a timely or delayed manner.

For the LCRO to have the record, you have to undergo the DELAYED REGISTRATION process, by reporting the event to the LCRO where the event took place, with additional documents that will support the said event.

Q: What does it mean when the requested Authenticated NSO document is a NEGATIVE CERTIFICATION?

A: A NEGATIVE CERTIFICATION means that NSO has no record of the vital event (no Birth or marriage or death record).

When one was issued a NEGATIVE CERTIFICATION, he is advised to have the said vital event on a DELAYED REGISTRATION PROCESS, that is, to go back to the LCRO where the event took place, and have the record endorsed to NSO.

Q: Can we get Authenticated documents from NSO-Marinduque?

A: NO. NSO-Marinduque is not a Serbilis Center. We refer the public to the LCRO-Boac, where a Batch Request System (BREQS) is installed. Requested copies of Authenticated Documents can be availed of 2 weeks after date of request from the said LCRO.

Also, if the need is an immediate one, the person can go to NSO-Lucena, located at the 3rd Floor of the Pacific Mall (in Lucena City). If he arrives early at the said Office, he can also get his needed document in the afternoon.

Q: Having found an error in the Authenticated copy of my Birth Certificate, what then would I do?

A: As Republic Act (RA) 9048 authorizes the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general to correct a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change the first name or nickname in the civil register without need of a judicial order, one can apply for the correction of his/her name to the LCRO where the event took place.

What corrections can be made by RA 9048?

RA 9048 allows these corrections:

Ø correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

(Entries that can be corrected: Age (date of birth), Sex (male/female), Nationality and Legitimacy

(A clerical or typographical error refers to an obvious mistake committed in clerical work, either in writing, copying, transcribing, or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as a misspelled name or misspelled place of birth and the like, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records.)

Ø change of a person's first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process.

Who may file the petition for correction?

> Whether it is for correction of clerical or typographical error, or for change of first name, the petition may be filed by a person of legal age who must have

a direct and personal interest in the correction of the error or in the change of first name in the civil register.

Ø A person is considered of legal age when he is eighteen years old and above. Thus, a minor (less than eighteen years old) cannot by himself file a petition, either for correction of clerical or typographical error or for change of his first name.

Ø Only the following persons are considered to have a direct and personal interest in the correction of clerical error or change of first name:

▪ Owner of the record that contains the error to be corrected or first name to be changed

▪ Owner's spouse, children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardian, or any other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected.

What should be the form and the content of the petition?

Ø The petition, whether it is for correction of clerical error or for a change of first name, should be accomplished properly and in the prescribed form. Section 5 of RA 9048 and Rule 8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001 require that the petition should be in the form of an affidavit, hence, it should be subscribed and sworn to before a person authorized to administer oath.

Ø Basically, the petition must contain the following facts or information:

Merits of the petition

Competency of the petitioner

Erroneous entry to be corrected and proposed correction; first name to be changed and the proposed new first name

What supporting documents are required for correcting a Clerical or Typographical Error in a Civil Registry document?

Ø The petition shall not be processed unless the petitioner supports it with the required documents. The supporting documents should be authentic and genuine, otherwise, the petition shall be denied or disapproved pursuant to Rule 5.8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001. The following supporting documents are admissible as basic requirements:

Certified machine copy of the certificate containing the alleged erroneous entry or entries

▪ Not less than 2 public or private documents upon which the correction shall be based. Examples of these documents are the following: baptismal certificate, voter's affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, school record, business record, driver's license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants, and others.

Notice and Certificate of Posting

Certified machine copy of the Official Receipt of the filing fee

▪ Other documents as may be required by the City/Municipal Civil Registrar (C/MCR)

Q: What is ADOPTION?

A: Is a juridical act which, by fiction of law, created between persons not so related by blood (as a general rule).It is also an act which endows the child with legitimate status.

Adoption is a legal process in which child’s legal rights and duties towards his natural parents are terminated and similar rights and duties towards his adoptive parents are substituted.

Q: Where to Register Adoption

A: The court order/decree on adoption, upon becoming final and executory, shall be reported to the civil registrar of the city of municipality, where the court issuing the decree is functioning, for recording in the Register of Court decrees.

Q: Who will report the ADOPTION to the civil registrar?

A: The successful petitioner (adopting parents) or other interested parties (adoptee/his/her biological parents/relative of either biological or adopting parents) shall have responsibility of reporting the adoption decree for registration. In default of these persons, it shall be the duty of the clerk of court to have said decree recorded in the civil register.


A: Presumptive death as defined by law is not registrable. However, a judicial order or decree declaring a person presumptively dead shall be registered. For the purpose of contracting a subsequent marriage, annotation shall be recorded in the marriage register as well as in the marriage certificate.

Q: What are the Vital Statistics that can be generated from the registered birth, death and marriage?

A: For Birth Statistics:

▪ Provides information on the change in size of the population by adding into it the population of the newly born; and

Necessary in developing important statistical indicators to measure change in social and economic conditions, birth rate and other fertility measures

For Death Statistics:

▪ Affects the size of the population by decreasing its number

▪ Reflects public health and sanitary condition

▪ Useful in demographic and health researches for policy makers and program planners

For Marriage Statistics: provides insights on,

▪ Nuptiality pattern of the population;

▪ Family formation and dissolution; and

▪ Fertility pattern

Q: What is AUSF?

A: The AUSF (Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father) is a sworn statement executed in order to use the surname of the father. It is a registrable document to be recorded in the Register of Legal Instruments.

(1) If the child was born in the Philippines and the public document or AUSF was executed in the Philippines, the public document or AUSF shall be registered at the LCRO where the child was born;

(2) If the child was born in the Philippines and the public document or AUSF was executed abroad, the public document or AUSF shall be registered at the LCRO of Manila;

(3) If the child was born abroad and the public document or AUSF was executed abroad, the public document or AUSF shall be registered at the LCRO of Manila.


NSO MARINDUQUE WEBSITE © 2010 All rights reserved.